Monday, July 20, 2009

20th July 2009: Monday Mosh #11

20th July 2009: Monday Mosh #11
Here we are on another Monday. I’m a school teacher and due back today. We are very lucky as teachers because we get all the holidays that the kids get – it’s certainly nothing to complain about. Yes the job can be stressful at times, but what job isn’t? I want to go on public record that I really enjoy being a teacher. It is a very fulfilling job and I love it. I particularly enjoy being able to influence young people, and perhaps point them in the right direction from time to time. That is the purpose at least!

I’ve got to confess, there is not much to report on the Grave Forsaken front this week. Part of doing a weekly update means that some weeks will be quiet. But please read on anyway, because I’m sure I’ll come up with something interesting and bloggy.

Elias and I went into Fattdog on Wednesday to record some riffs and do some arranging with Daniel. It’s fair to say that these sessions with Daniel are really developing nicely. I’d even say that they are actually developing into a cohesive album. We have always tried to release something each year, so the goal is to have another studio album sometime during 2010. We recorded the first album between September 2005 and September 2006 on and off. It was a really difficult process and wore our patience very thin. All the songs were written before going in, but we didn’t record in an actual studio. It was done in various houses and churches all across Perth. Hence the somewhat inconsistent sound of that album (still, I’m extremely proud of it). The second album was recorded at Fattdog between April 2007 and February 2008. Again, we took a whole year to record, but at least there was a consistent venue. We are extremely happy with Destined For Ascension, and I actually feel it slipped the radar a bit last year. I still enjoy listening back to it, and captures that original line up at our peak. This Day Forth was recorded between April and October 2008. It was done over a much quicker time frame – indeed most of the raw tracks were laid down in a little over 2 weeks during April. That entire process is documented on the bonus DVD that comes with Soundmass orders of the new album. We deliberately recorded it quickly to get a very early 80’s raw thrash feel. Based on the reviews, we certainly achieved that. The only problem is that a lot of reviews are attributing the raw feel to poor production, and while they are entitled to their opinion, it was exactly the sound we were looking for.

With all this in mind, we have approached the next album very differently. Seeing as there is no rush to record something, we have opted to build an album from the ground up. Elias had already recorded a batch of 10 demos late last year. We have literally been going into Fattdog and laying down guide riffs based mainly on the demos Elias has come up with. Dan has then been offering his advice on arrangements and making changes where necessary (like any good producer should). Simon has been adding some guitar work and Dave has then been recording a drum track using Daniel’s Roland electronic kit. From there, I have been writing lyrics for the songs. Normally with GF songs, the lyrics and riffs come at the same time, so it is a slightly different way of writing. Once I have a rough set of lyrics I have been recording them and then taking mixes home and working on the vocal patterns and phrasing. We don’t even have enough songs for an album yet, but we are getting close. It is beyond doubt that some of the material already recorded will survive and actually make it onto the next album, however we won’t rush anything. If a take needs to be rerecorded, or I come up with a better vocal phrasing, it will be redone. It is such a different way of working for us because in the past the songs have been written and arranged prior to recording them. These songs are virtually being written in the studio. We know the next album has to be out of the box, and we are working hard to ensure when it does come out, it will represent the best of us. Each album has been a gradual improvement over the last, and this will be no different.

Speaking of the new song and riff ideas, this months edition of Mosher Crew Confidential is now available for download from the members area of our website. The edition gives you a few snort snippets of some of the stuff we have been doing, as well as a bit of a look at some of my raw songwriting ideas. My 1 year old son Aaron also makes his first appearance on a Grave Forsaken video since GFTV episode 3. Regular followers of our shows can see how much he has grown. Kristy and I are extremely proud of the little fella. If you’re interested in accessing Mosher Crew Confidential simply sign up to the Mosher Crew (for free) and you can check out the ever growing catalogue of downloads available from the members area.

The other thing I have been doing is continuing the mix for our online live album “Light The Hall”. I was getting a lot of high end buzz on the guitars which was annoying me. As this mix has been a learning experience for me, I was able to have a play with the EQ on the guitar. I think I’ve solved 90% of the problem by cutting out some of the offending frequencies. It’s pretty amazing what you can do with plug ins and effects. While you can’t actually change the raw performance (well you can, but I want it to be authentic), you can change some of the technical aspects of the recording. It’s fair to say that the Byford venue we recorded in was not designed for heavy metal live albums, but to me that is part of the beauty of the process. I figure that learning my way around the software and mixing desk on this project will stand me in very good stead for producing a future GF album myself. Working with Daniel is terrific, but the drawback is time, money and distance. I foresee a time when all our studio material is recorded at my home studio. That is unless we start selling a lot of albums and can afford a bigger studio. GF is what it is, and we are fully dedicated to making it the best it can be with our resource constraints. This is not a whinge, because I fully accept it, but the cold hard reality is there is no money in this scene for most bands. It is an expensive hobby for most of us. I think through a combination of talent and luck, the best bands make it to some degree, but it seems most bands are only ever one poor album away from losing their entire fanbase, and being back in the garage, or split up entirely. It can be an extremely taxing and frustrating undertaking.

Take our gig last Saturday night. It was a low turnout and the band wasn’t quite firing on all cylinders. You do sometimes drive home wondering if it is worth the time, money and effort. And the end of the day it is all about ministry for us. Just being representatives of Christ in the local metal scene is enough, and there are times when I need to remind myself of that. In some small way we are making a difference for God, and that makes what we and other Christian bands do worthwhile. So when your favourite Christian band hasn’t played many shows recently, or hasn’t put out an album for a while, or have some lineup changes, just remember how taxing it is for them. We choose to do this because we love serving God this way, but it certainly isn’t a lifestyle for everyone.

One thing I’ve always said to our supporters is that we are here for the long haul. There will come a day when we don’t put a new album out every year, and there will times when we don’t play live for 6 months, but everyday I try to do at least one little thing to move the band forward. Whether it’s writing a Monday Mosh, or editing a new GFTV episode, or contacting a promoter about a gig, I’m always pushing this thing forward. I accept that what we are now is what we might always be, but there is always hope that something will breakthrough. Maybe a support slot on a big tour, or a sudden surge in interest in one of our albums. The point is, none of these external factors will stop Grave Forsaken continuing. I say this because all the bands that have been meaningful to me over the years have stuck it out through the years. Kiss, Mortification, Iron Maiden to name a few. They just keep rolling on determined, and I find inspiration in that.

So, in a slow news week, I’ve managed to write possibly the longest Mosh yet. I hope you’ve all enjoyed reading, and you’ll hear from me again next Monday.

God Bless and Mosh On
Vaughan and Grave Forsaken

No comments:

Post a Comment